1. Administer the provincial statutes and regulations - principally the Education Act
2. Set policies and guidelines for school trustees (e.g. Code of Conduct), directors of education, principals and other school board officials, and students (e.g. online learning requirements).
3. Determine the funds that school boards receive. School boards have NO direct access to property taxes - they haven't since 1998. About 30% of the funding comes from property taxes and the remaining 70% comes from different provincial grants. Funding is based largely on the number of students at a given school board. It is not based on where, or whether, voters direct their 'support' School board grants include:
4. Approve capital funding of new schools, day cares, extensions, gyms and other one-time capital funding requests made via business cases developed by board staff.
5. Develop course curriculum.
6. Centrally-bargains education-related contracts (which are not fully funded by the Ministry, so millions must be found by the TCDSB annually to make up the short fall - as overspend is in the classroom, that's where the funds are generally found).
7. Determine pay scales for board administration and leadership not part of a union - including the Director of Education
8. Set requirements for student diplomas and certificates
9 Approve textbooks and other learning materials, and teacher resources for kindergarten to Grade 12.
10. Develop policy and programs to support child care and early years programs.
11. Oversee and set policies for the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO), which administers standard provincial tests in reading, writing and math.
Visit the Ministry website for more information.
You can advocate with the Minister and Ministry directly::
Ministry of Education, Mowat Block, 900 Bay St., Toronto, ON M7A 1L2
Minister and senior political staff phone and email contacts
Twitter (the Ministry): @ONeducation
Twitter (Minister Stephen Lecce): @Sflecce